OUR HISTORICAL BUILDING
525 W Exchange St Crete, IL 60417
This home at the northwest corner of Benton and Exchange Streets in Crete was owned by Mr. & Mrs. Irwyn Wood and their descendants for over 91 years. Irwyn Wood was the son of the founders of Crete, Willard & Dyantha Wood, who settled here
Henry Diersen built the house in 1901 and sold it to Mr. & Mrs. Irwyn Wood in 1903. Their daughter, Helen Wood was married to Nelson Helme in the parlor, and they raised six children in this house. The Helme’s daughter, Winnifern (“Winnie”) married Donald Easterday at her family home and the couple later moved to this house after her father passed away. The Woods, Helmes, and Easterdays were very active in Crete. Nelson Helme served on the school board and as Village trustee, Winnie Easterday was the Crete Township clerk for 19 years and Donald Easterday was elected to the Village Board and later the Will County Board.
After the house was sold in 1994, an addition was added on the west side to enlarge the dry goods store of Maddrill & Wright. Phyllis Monks and Joseph Gleeson purchased the home in 1997 and restored portions of the home, including the beautiful front porch with wood spindles.